Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Sublease

Posted by Malia on April 03, 2001 at 13:00:48:

This is the situation. I have been legally subleasing my apartment for 2 years. The tenants from whom I am subleasing are living in another state. I pay the tenants the base rent plus 5% sublease fee and they in turn pay this amount to the landlord. The landlord has informed them that she would permit only a 2-year sublease, which expires this month. The tenants' main lease does not expire until November. However, they would like for me to remain in the apartment until November, at which point they are hopeful that the landlord will permit me to "take over" the lease. The question is, now that the sublease is technically over, what should we do? Should the tenants continue to pay the sublease amount as usual? Should they go back to paying their usual rent amount under the assumption that they can allow anyone they want (me) to "stay" in their apartment while they are gone? Can the landlord evict me? HELP!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name