Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rights of leaseless tenants

Posted by JL on April 02, 2001 at 17:23:58:

In Reply to: Rights of leaseless tenants posted by Holly Martin on April 01, 2001 at 18:06:44:

i've lived in a couple of apartments without a lease and had no major problems with it. in each case, of course, the landlords were fairly friendly and open-minded. they responded to repairs as quickly as i expect landlords to act and generally left the tenants alone. this is about as good as it gets without a lease. it's nice because we never had to worry about getting out of the lease when we found a better place, but had anything particualrly bad happened, we wouldn't have much of a paper trail. indeed, we sometimes feared the landlord would double the rent at just about any time. it seems the only rule in these situations is '30 day notice'. when everything's fine, its great. i'm not even sure if in such a situation the landlord would have to put you up somewhere if your building burns down. without some kind of legal document, there's not much to tie you to the place.

one thing, i did have my last landlord sign a notarized letter of residency stating when we took up in his apartment. i had to do it to get the gas turned on, but it might prove useful in a tight spot.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name