Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Satellite dish deposit required by landlords.

Posted by Craig Manske on March 28, 2001 at 18:49:24:

My neighbor created a wooden clamp which connects a satellite dish to the balcony railing without making any changes, holes, etc... in the railing. This means a person could install a stable dish without damaging any part of the unit. I decided that I wanted to get Satellite because it was cheaper then cable and contained more channels in my area. I communicated this to my landlord and showed him Section 207 and it's addendum for rental units of the Telecommunication Act of 1996. He told me that there was a $400 deposit required if I wanted to put a dish on my balcony no matter whether it was physically attached to the railing or in a cement bucket. If you think about it couldn't he impose a deposit for just about anything he wanted to, especially if this were legal? He could in effect impose a deposit for a lawn chair on my patio, or curtains on my windows. Is this deposit legal without being included in the lease? Is it in accordance with section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 if it is in the lease? And most importantly, if this is legal, can he combine this deposit with the rental deposit and use it for something other then repairs for damage caused by the dish installation?

Thanks for your time.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name