Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

ROOMMATES' RENT

Posted by sim0ne on March 26, 2001 at 14:15:07:

Was this post ever answered? I am also curious and concerned about the new code. What is the formula for calculating the roomate's rent and what is the roommate's recourse if this "formula" is not followed?

Thanks.

Posted by MikeW on December 27, 2000 at 11:34:12:

One of the changes present in the new DHRC code is that a tenant in a stabilized apartment can no longer charge a roommate whatever the market will bear. There is a formula for calculating the roommate's rent based on regulated rent of the apartment.

Has anyone figured out the enforcement provisions of this yet. I found the piece of the code that give the calculation, but I didn't see anything about any cures provided if the tenant overcharges. Does the roommate have to file with the DHRC or sue in housing court? Does the LL have any participation here (ie. could this be used as grounds for an eviction)?

This is brand new, and one seems to have noticed. But given the popularity apartment sharing in NYC, this provision going to have a HUGE impact.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name