Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Locks

Posted by Out $400 on March 26, 2001 at 13:11:58:

Hi . I am renting an apartment in Manhattan and have been in the same place for almost two years. I was out of town on a business trip this weekend, and my next door neighbor came over on Saturday evening to feed my two cats, and was unable to get into my apartment because the bottom lock on my apartment door was broken. She called the locksmith at 9pm, after unsuccesfully trying to find the super. When the locksmiths finally arrived at 2am (oh, my poor starving cats!!!), they opened the door and said that the whole lock would need to be replaced. It seems that someone tried to break into the apartment several years ago, and instead of replacing the lock at that time, the landlord simply repaired it, but it was cracked and was ready to break any time.

In any case, it cost me almost $400 to replace the lock (they said that the only lock that was big enough for the hole in the door cost $295). I was on the other end of the country and it was 2 am, so my friend just told them to go ahead and do it.

My question is: Who is responsible for the locks on the door? If my landlords refuse to pay, then do I take the lock with me when I leave and put the old one back on???

Help me please!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name