Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

new roommate reg

Posted by deb on March 19, 2001 at 20:06:54:

I am a broker and I've been getting a lot of ?'s about this.
These are just some of the living arrangements the people who have asked me are in:

One lives with her boyfriend. The lease is in her name, he pays most of the rent or all of the rent. she's breaking up with him and he wants to get even so he's going to the LL or DHCR.

She lives with her husband, it's her apartment and the lease is in her name. He pays all of the rent. They're divorcing, he refuses to move out and she's afraid that he wants revenge. See above.

He lives in a 2 bedroom apt. His lease. He has the really tiny bedroom and the roommate who is more than willing to pay more has the gigantic bedroom: 50/50? 40/60? Is proportionate by the square foot?

She has a 2 bedroom apt. totally completely furnished from sheets, towels, dishes to tv's, hairdryers etc: everything in the apartment is her stuff. She has taken in 1 roommate who has brought nothing but her clothes and books(personal effects). Split the rent 50/50 or what?

He is a Vietnam Veteran confined to a wheel chair and receives disability. He has a large apartment, 3 bedrooms I think, and his roommate pays about 80% of the rent. Is this Veteran now in jepordy of losing his apartment?

What about the really old guy(rent controlled-on social security) in my building who took in a Columbia student to help with the expenses
The student pays most of the rent because this man simply does not have the income.

Would someone out there in cyber-land more intelligent than I am please explain because I just cannot see how DHCR is going to make this fly.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name