Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: 3- or 4-month business trip--eviction or not?

Posted by JJ on March 16, 2001 at 21:43:58:

In Reply to: 3- or 4-month business trip--housesitter or subletter? posted by L Fredley on March 16, 2001 at 00:46:46:

: Hello. I'm a freelance writer and editor and have been presented with the opportunity to do some work out of state, which would require that I be gone for several months, starting in just a few weeks. I'd like to have a friend stay in my apartment while I'm gone--to forward mail, look after my stuff, water the plants, and so on. I'd keep paying the rent directly to the landlords, but my friend would pay me (no mark-up, of course). Can this be done informally, and safely, or would you recommend instead that an official sublet be set up, even for such a short time? I don't want to cause any unnecessary trouble with my landlords (requesting a sublet would constitute trouble to them), and I certainly don't want them to assume I'm not coming back. This is my home, and I don't want to lose it.

: I live in a rent-stabilized building (the building has eight one-bedroom units) in Manhattan. I have a standard lease that I will want to renew this August; I will have lived in this apartment for 3 years.

: Any suggestions?

: Thank you,
: LF

sublet w/o written permission from landlord is grounds for eviction.

follow the law as outlined in the DHCR factsheet online on or in the 'rent admin' section of

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name