Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: landlord sued while I was in Korea for military

Posted by Renee on March 15, 2001 at 04:54:31:

In Reply to: landlord sued while I was in Korea for military posted by Susan on March 14, 2001 at 20:16:45:

The only time I have ever seen a lawyer turn down a case was when they knew it was a waste of their time ... that there was no chance of winning. I don't know what laws would cover this issue. Perhaps you could do a little research on your own and present your own case. What does being in the service have to do with it? I know that you could get out of a lease early if you are deployed by presenting the landlord a copy of your orders. But not paying rent while overseas? OI've never heard that one! Why would you pay for an apartment that you didn't use for 2 years? Why would you send cash from Korea? With no proof, it is his word against yours and this would not stand up in court. If you file against him, you need to go before the judge and prove your case. What information do you have to do so?

I am afraid that in the absence of any proof, and this case being 3 years old, your chances are minimal. You may have just learned a very costly lesson at the hands of a true scheister. The only way to get this off your credit now is to make monthly payments until it is paid up, wait for another 7 years, or write him and call his bluff. Tell him you are about to contact an attorney about re-opening the case, but that you would be willing to drop the suit, if he settles for half. If he does, get it in writing and start paying him the 1250. Its worth a try. Make sure that when you are all paid up, that you receive some form of release of judgment from him to send to the credit reporting companies. Also - NEVER - pay in cash.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name