Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

landlord sued while I was in Korea for military

Posted by Susan on March 14, 2001 at 20:16:45:

I have a problem that has been going on since 1998. My landlord and I had an oral agreement about me paying whatever I could per month, we NEVER had a written lease either. I lived in this apartment from 1996-1998. Well, I did pay him by check and cash. While I was serving overseas in Korea he took a case to court and said I skipped out on him and did not pay rent. He had a written peice of paper with payments I made by check but not by cash. He gave me no receipts. I have no proof I paid and he has no proof I didn't. Well, according to the court, they had no idea that I was in the military,cause neither him nor the lawyer told the judge. Therefore they rendered the judgement for $2500.00 against me. I cannot find a lawyer for the life of me to help me reopen this case. Obviously this judgement was rendered in "bad-faith". I want to get this off of my credit report. This landlord kew I was leaving for the military and when, cause he told me all about his military days. He said that he didn't know I was leaving. I have not talked to this guy in 2 years. JAG won't represent me because it is a civiian issue. What do I do now??? I live in Whitesboro New York and I am renting the proper way now. Please help me with advice on how to go about finding a lawyer that will help.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name