Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can my rent be increased by $1000 in 5yrs?

Posted by Ace on March 14, 2001 at 14:24:49:

In Reply to: Can my rent be increased by $1000 in 5yrs? posted by Helen on March 13, 2001 at 16:59:31:

Do you have a lease? Is the apartment rent stabilized? Most likely not. If you wonder if it's ever been and it does not mention it on the lease, you can check with DHCR and find out if your building and apartment were ever listed.

If the apartment is at market rate and not rent controlled or rent stabilized, the sky's the limit for the landlord.

: My question is:
: My roomate and I live in Brooklyn. I rented a small (converted) 2BR apartment for $1250/mo five years ago. My rent is now $2200. That is an increase of almost a thousand dollars in 5 years. Can my landlord do that? There are 50 units in this building, most are privately owned (condo) and my landlord owns about 5 units here.

: Last year I paid $1900/mo and this year it was raised to $2200...an increase of $300 just this year.

: Is this kind of increase legal under any circumstances? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. As of right now I am SURE I will not be able to remain in this apartment in another year.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name