Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: certificate of occupancy

Posted by Ace on March 14, 2001 at 14:22:15:

In Reply to: certificate of occupancy posted by dd on March 13, 2001 at 19:44:45:

Do you live on the ground floor or in the basement? If it's a basement apartment, it's possible.

Have you been given a lease to where you're currently at? During your research, is your apartment listed? What gives you the idea that YOUR apartment is the one that's illegal?

: I currently live in a brownstone type bldg. in bklyn, that has an apt. on each flr. (4 floors). I live on the ground flr. apt. and recently found out that the bldg. is assessed for taxes as a 3-family home. I then went to obtain the certificate of occupancy and was told that there is no certificate on the bldg. They photocopied a card on the bldg. and the last entry on the card was in 1967. This photocopy also had the bldg. listed as "1-3-B. f. 3 family and the owner was not the owner of the bldg. now. Does this mean that since I am on the ground flr. that I am in an illegal apt. If so, what recourse do I take especially since I am having problems with the landlord. Pls. help before I pay to consult an atty. thank you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name