Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Lease renewal

Posted by Ace on March 12, 2001 at 12:35:49:

In Reply to: Re: Lease renewal posted by Adam Block on March 12, 2001 at 11:53:55:

You don't mention how long you intend to stay. If you have not returned the lease with your signature, then call your LL and give him notice. If you have no idea when you're going to Texas, then sign the lease for the year. Just remember that you will be bound to it for another year.

: I started to pay the increased rent. They are currently asking for the lease, so I think that the only real solution is to sign it.

: : Have you been paying what you were paying with the previous lease or did you start paying the increase? If you did not sign the lease, I believe you become a month to month tenant and you can give the LL 30 days notice. why are you hanging on to a lease two months later?

: : better yet, just talk to your LL and see if you two can arrange something to benefit both of you. It's better to let your LL know so there will be no problems later on and you can still use the LL as a reference for your next LL.

: : : I am not rent stabilized.

: : : My previous lease expired December 31, 2000, and I did not receive the new lease until (approx. January 20, 2001). The new lease also included a rent increase. Thus, there was not much time to consider staying or not.

: :
: : : : You don't mention if you're rent stabilized or not, but if you are, look at your lease. It mentions at the bottom by your signature that if you choose not to sign off on it, then you have the last date of your current lease to stay in the apartment.

: : : : Normally, the renweal lease is given to you between 120 to 90 days prior to your current lease expiring, giving you time to decide whether you're staying or going. If you plan to go, give at least 30 days notice and a spotless empty cleaned out on time apartment if you want to see your security deposit back.

: : : : : I have been living in an apartment in Brooklyn for approximately 5 years, and have payed rent without fault every month during that period of time. Each year I have signed a 1 year lease in January. This year, I am looking to relocate to Texas, and the landlord is asking for his lease. Is it within my rights not to sign the lease, and continue to pay rent for the duration of my stay in the apartment?

: : : : : Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name