Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

yes and no

Posted by Will on March 12, 2001 at 11:18:18:

In Reply to: Lease renewal posted by Adam Block on March 12, 2001 at 10:53:00:

By not having a lease both you and your landlord can terminate your agreement within thirty days notice. You are considered a month to month tenant. The landlord can also raise your rent month to month with 30 days notice as well....if you do sign a lease be prepared to vacate within 30 days...it won't necessarily be at your convenience....why not be honest with the landlord and ask for a 6 month lease instead? because once the landlord learns of your intentions and realizes you kept him in the dark he might be inclined to give you your notice....

Will

: I have been living in an apartment in Brooklyn for approximately 5 years, and have payed rent without fault every month during that period of time. Each year I have signed a 1 year lease in January. This year, I am looking to relocate to Texas, and the landlord is asking for his lease. Is it within my rights not to sign the lease, and continue to pay rent for the duration of my stay in the apartment?

: Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name