Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Possible Losses

Posted by Ralph on March 09, 2001 at 22:10:37:

I am a physically disabled man living in a non subsidized apartment building in Cincinnati, Ohio that has 20 units (efficiencies). The heater in my bathroom does not work at all, the door to my apartment does not fit correctly, so drafts come in – he was fined for this by the Dept. of Inspections (I moved in in the Summer, so I did not know these things), and whenever I ask the landlord to fix anything, he says that I broke whatever it is, and refuses to fix it. Recently there has been problems with parking (there are to many cars, not enough spaces), and he decided to make the parking tenant only. Because I don’t have a car, he said that do not get a space. After withholding rent, he said he would give me one only for my girlfriend’s (who does not live here) car. The problem is I rely on personal care attendants to live (they get me out of bed, etc..). they come twice a day – at 5:45 A.M. (9:00 A.M. on weekends), and 7:00 P.M.. There is parking on the street, but during the time that the morning aide is here. The landlord is not willing to make any accommodations for the weekday morning aide.

Given the behavior and attitude of the landlord, I pay my rent late, and do not pay the late fees. I have finally found another wheelchair accessible apartment, and will be moving in as soon as I can get packed (approx. a week). I have not paid this month’s rent, and will not be paying anymore rent here.

I realize that I am legally in the wrong by not paying the late fees and this month’s rent, but if he would take me to court, is there any grounds for me to counter sue? I can not see how he could be this way and I have no recourse.

Toward his character – he’s letting a family of 4 (2 parents, 2 children – one 9 the other 2, and one on the way) live in one of the efficiencies. I have reported this to the Board of Health.

My lease has been up for over a year.

Thank you,

Ralph

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name