Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Roomie's rights?

Posted by Dawn on March 07, 2001 at 14:37:17:

In Reply to: Re: Roomie's rights? posted by Ace on March 07, 2001 at 13:57:11:

I had a roommate that refused to leave. Although she couldn't pay her half of the rent and utilities on time, fell behind so she was owing months at a time from the first month she moved in, frequently borrowed from me or left notes on how she just couldn't pay me by such date and never came round with what she owed on her own, she insisted that she had rights. This woman ate my food, drank up my soda, never replaced a thing she used, and left the place a mess -- I would come back to a wrecked apartment after my being away for the weekend. Her boyfriend would be making frequent visits, staying for three or four days at a time, every weekend. I would be awakened to their headpost furiously banging on my bedroom wall (we shared a wall)at 6 a.m., despite my asking her to please move the bed away from that wall.

She also had to be pushed to find a better paying job -- the amount she claimed she had been making turned out not to be true. She was rather smug about her having rights and helped to create a tension filled home that lasted the year of the lease until I could find a place of my own and get away from the leech/moocher. This woman was someone I thought was responsible -- and she turned out not to be.

So beware those who are thinking of getting a a roommate to make your rent life easier -- you may be making a deal with the devil.

: Just as you've brought up, roommates are in for a rude awakening if they think they have the same rights as a tenant. On the other hand, if they decide to book without paying their half or portion of the rent, or want to leave, they CAN, while the tenant is STILL responsible for getting the whole rent in on time regardless, even if it comes out of the tenant's pockets. Loud parties, inviting people over every other night or every weekend, is something roommates feel they are entitled to, despite the fact that they have NO RIGHT to the apartment in the end, and any damages are still the tenant's responsibility. I, quite frankly, will never have a roommate again, whether they're to be on the lease or not, because when you live with another person you have to contend with personality issues, time and privacy conflicts and courtesy issues. Too much of a paint in the butt. So perhaps, just perhaps, you're better off finding your own place where you can have your own rules and deal with the landlord exclusively.

: I was wondering if you ever found a place of your own then brought a roommate into your place. Your attitude would change if that roommate has certain quirks you never noticed before. Funny how a person's perception quickly changes when the shoe is on the other foot.

: : Your post brings up a wider question never addressed by tenants' groups: roomates have no rights. Unless you have a lease in your name (You have to be well off), you can legally be overcharged and evicted at will by the tenant. A lot of tenants gouge their roomates. These people are no better than the sleaziest landlords. I've had to put up with inconsiderate, harrassing, mentally ill, drug addict roomates, had my life disrupted a few times because some moron has a lease in his name. When is someone going to address roomates rights? I'm sure the number of people in my situation is substantial.

:
: :
: : I am a tenant in an apartment in Brooklyn, NY with two other people, one of whom has the lease in his name. Due to personal problems - former friends who no longer get along - he has told me he wants me out of the apartment in 30 days. However, I have never paid rent or utility bills late, while he has as well as bounced a few checks to the landlord - I have actually paid his bills and rent on occasion because he doesn't have a job while I do. I have written to the landlord and he has agreed to put my name on the next lease (the current lease runs out in three months). Does my roomate have any authority to remove me from the apartment without valid complaint or does only the landlord have that right? I would appreciate any help or advice you may be able to provide.
: : :
: : : Thank you.
: : :
: : : Douglas Friend

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name