Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Mailboxes and doorbells

Posted by georgygirl on March 07, 2001 at 14:17:55:

I have been trying to get the LL to fix the mailboxes in my rent stabilized, 6 unit building for the longest. Letters and phone calls acknowledge my complaint but still nothing's done. Meanwhile, the only way to let people in to my building when they buzz is to physically go to the front door and see who's there. This is not secure -- considering 80% of the time the front doors are not locked or not closed completely for one of the doors locks to catch (the outer door has a deadbolt that's threatening to fall out and the inner door has a lock that catches only when the door is closed firmly).

Meanwhile, when I got my renter's history from DHCR, it lists that the "security" was installed, the front door bells, therefore, they were allowed to justify getting money from people's rents in the building before I moved in. Seeing that I don't have an intercom, which would have been appropriate along with the buzzer to let a guest in, I have no idea who's calling on me (Jehovah's Witnesses or salesmen buzzing on early Sunday mornings is something I'd like to avoid).

Is the LL under any obligation to put in a security feature such as a working intercom? Would this be considered part of necessary services or would I be charged for this?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name