Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: renovation rent hike

Posted by chelsea on March 05, 2001 at 23:27:34:

In Reply to: renovation rent hike posted by gretchen on March 05, 2001 at 20:26:33:

Step 1: Call DHCR's Rent Info Line at (718) 739-6400 and ask for your apartment's rent history to be mailed to you. It should come in three or four days. The legal increase depends on the apartment's status and past rent.

1) If it's going from rent control to rent stabilized, there are a couple of methods to calculate the rent increase. It can be fairly substantial. You should be given an initial rent registration that you can challenge within 90 days. (See Fair Market Rent Appeal on tenant.net or DHCR site.)

2) If was rent stabilized before, there can be a vacancy allowance plus an increase of 1/40 of the improvements. (See vacancy allowance on tenant.net or housing.nyc.org.)

3) Did the improvements change the size of the apartment? If so, the landlord may be able to charge a free-market "first rent," but the apartment will probably remain under rent stabilization.

4) Is the rent over $2,000? If that's a legal rent, it may remove the apartment from rent stabilization, but it has to be done legally.

This is probably pretty confusing. So get the rent history, look around tenant.net and write back to the forum with what the rent history said and any questions, and we'll help you figure it out.

chelsea

: I live in brooklyn in a rent controlled building with six units. I was the first tennant in a newly renovated space. Is there a legal limit to how much the rent can be increased from the last tennant even with renovations? How can I find out how much the last tennants paid?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name