Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord slow to produce new lease...what are my rights in "between" leases?

Posted by Ace on March 05, 2001 at 12:59:22:

In Reply to: Landlord slow to produce new lease...what are my rights in posted by Alexuma on March 04, 2001 at 23:24:16:

If you've paid your rent on time and you've been a good tenant -- and you know they are slow in giving you a lease, why are you panicking now? They have a pattern, I'm sure they'll stick with it. Just send a letter, short and polite, via certified mail or FedEx, so you get signature upon receipt for your records, reminding them on the lease renewal and CONTINUE TO PAY the rent you've been paying, on time, until the lease renewal comes to you. They may've just forgotten, which is the likely scenario. Keep receipts of everything and put everything in writing.

As far as the new lease, if you had the apartment previously to yourself and you signed on the roommate after you got the place, there's no reason why you can't take the person leaving off. I don't see a problem.

: HI there-
: I am a good tenant who has lived in an apartment in a Brooklyn brownstone for 7 years (no rent-control, 4 units in building). Since the new owners took over 5 years ago, each time the lease is up they take months to give us a new lease. This time, our lease was up Jan 1st and we have requested a new lease with rent checks Dec. 1st, Jan 1st and March 1st - to no response. I am wondering what are our rights while we are "in between" leases? Is this right? Could they not renew? I am confused as they could have gotten an increase from us by now...
: Also, my roommate, whose name is also on the lease (or was before the lease ended Jan 1st), is moving out. Can I sign the lease solo and find a roommate on my own (knowing I would be responsible for the entire rent)? Because I have been there so long, I would rather have the relationship with the landlord myself and not involve an new roommate with the lease.
: Any information is appreciated!
: Alexuma

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name