Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

I have a creepy landlord - what can I do?

Posted by name withheld on March 05, 2001 at 01:46:55:

My landlord creeps me out. I am a single woman living in NYC in a 5 unit building. My landlord maintains the building well, too well. He often enters my apartment without notice or my permission. He often knocks on my door, just to say hi or show me something - and he usually has an excuse to enter my apartment, such as to wash his hands or access my back yard. I have repeatedly told him that he needs to call first - he has yet to call first. He asked me out and asked me to go to church with him, I said no. He kept turning off the hall light outside my doorway. When I told him that it needed to remain on for security purposes he argued with me and mocked me saying "What are you afraid someone is hiding there and going to get you?" But eventually agreed to keep it on.

I usually avoid calling him for general maintenance repairs, but recently the washer's spin cycle stopped working and left my clothes soaking wet. He told me to call him the next time I do laundry so he could see what was happening in order to fix it. Needless to say, I have not done laundry in a while. I don't think this is the proper way to make repairs. If I called the Maytag repair man, he wouldn't ask me to do laundry while he watched, would he?

Anyway, I'm not sure how to address all these issues with him. He makes me extremely uncomfortable and I have no sense of privacy in my apartment. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name