Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord is slow cashing rent checks

Posted by New York Tenant on March 04, 2001 at 09:11:56:

In Reply to: rent check posted by Jim Stanley on March 03, 2001 at 16:45:15:

If you have a checking account that earns interest, or overdraft credit access on your checking account, I would be happy to earn the extra interest when the landlord is slow to cash your checks.

As others have said, you could pay a fee to purchase a money order to pay your rent, but if the money order is lost in the mail or if the landlord claims he didn't receive it, you will have to go back to where you purchased the money order and pay a fee to place a stop payment on it and pay another fee to get a replacement.

I think you should continue to send your personal rent checks every month. If you are concerned that your landlord will claim that you didn't mail the checks, you could get a certificate of mailing from the post office, but you would have to go to the post office and pay a fee of 75¢ for this. You could also sent your rent payments by certified mail, but that now costs $1.90, although you don't have to (but can) go to the post office to send something by certified mail.
:
: I live in a 25 year old single unit house in California and have a typical renters agreement.
: Can my landlord hold on to my check for 30 days before cashing it?
: When I pay my rent at the beggining of the month my landlord has been holding on to my check for a month or more before depositing(or cashing)it sometimes cashing 2 months of rent at one time.
: Can he do this? And if so, does this mean that he could hold on to
: my rent checks for 6 months, and then cash them all at once?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name