Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can original roommate approve/dissaprove of sublettee

Posted by Ace on March 02, 2001 at 13:43:23:

In Reply to: Can original roommate approve/dissaprove of sublettee posted by Jaime on March 01, 2001 at 14:13:01:

If you've given written notice to LL and he's approved your leaving as well as the new roommate, then you can leave. The current roommate, unless they can prove they can pay the rent on their own or bring in their own person to be approved by the landlord as their new roommate, may have little say on the matter of you.

Ignore the nasty little roommate and make sure you keep copies of all correspondence, etc. Don't even let the roommate know where you are headed. Even your LL doesn't need to know. Also, get your LL's approval in writing -- if you wrote a letter to LL stating your intentions to leave, the offering of the new roommate and all that, just stating all that's taken place, then end the letter with if LL agrees this is true, or if LL wants to add anything else, to please reply in a letter back to you. Then send certified and if you don't hear from LL in ten days, consider it a letter of understanding, which can be used later in court if psycho roomie wants to take you to small claims.

: If I am in a 1 year lease and I want to leave. My roomate and I are not getting along. Both our names are on the lease. I have given the landlord 5 weeks notice and her the same. I have found a person to take my place in the apartment. She is trying to make this difficult by not approving of anyone I suggest. She is trying to take me to smalll claims. My question is, if the landlord has no problem with the new tenant, can the new tenant move in to my old room (with the landlords written permission) even if the other roomate does not approve.

: Please let me know.
: THanks,
: Jaime

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name