Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

leaky doors

Posted by kate on March 02, 2001 at 12:49:48:

I live in a 53 unit town house complex, located in Geneva, NY, which falls under the federal tax credit program.The complex is owned and opperated by a private company......not buy a housing authority. The complex was built before the second world war as housing for married military officers. The building looks like it has had no major exterior improvements since then.
My problem is that both my back door and front door leak profusely!! It's so bad that I can actually see daylight coming in between the door and the door frame !!!! I have been constantly requesting replacement /repairs of my doors since 1997!!! Other apartments in my complex have had their back doors replaced after I made my request!!!! I have orally requested and also wrote letters explaining the situation to my rental agent and requesting replacement and repair. I feel I have been given the runaround. On more than one occasion I have been told that I would be receiving a new door, then had them say ..."sorry we can't afford it, we'll put you on a waiting list". January of this year (2001) I was informed that a contractor was coming to do an estimate on replacement of my back door and that I would have a new back door. Here it is March and no back door. The reasoning was that the contractor's bid of $400.00 was to high!!!! The back door is aprox. 25' from the parking lot. On numerous occasions, when I have been home, I have noticed that exaughst has entered my apartment through the cracks in my door......even though my door has been locked with the dead boldt and chain! I have severe asthma I can not be exposed to such fumes. I also have to have my apartment at a consistant temp. of 70, if i get to cold it triggers an asthma attack. Because of my leaky doors, my furnace is constanly running and my utility bills have been outrageous!! I am at my wits end!! I would appreciate any informtion on what I can do to force my landlord to make these repairs! Can I with hold rent? Can I deduct my utilities from my rent? Who can I contact for help? The town I live in is in a very rural area so i am limited to resources! I have a year to year lease and have lived her since November of 1996.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name