Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Switching roommates, does she have the right to reject everyone I find to move in?

Posted by Jaime on February 28, 2001 at 23:54:00:

Hi all,
I've been having terrible problems with my roommate for the last 2 months. We are on a 1 year lease that ends June 30th. We both signed it and verbally agreed to pay $775 each per month. Just picture "Single White Female" anyway, I told my landlord on Feb 23rd that I can no longer emotionally stand being there and that I am leaving April 1st. THe landlord has been very helpful ( he has been the main contact between the two of us since we don't speak. He gave her the options of:
1.finding a new roommate
2.Me or the landlord finding one for her
3.Her leaving (giving up the apartment)
4.Her paying the total of the rent $1550

She has pushed me out of my apartment by mentally harassing me over the last 2 months. Now that she knows I am leaving, the landlord told me that she is going to take me to court over this. I don't want to go to court since I really can't prove the harassment. The thing is, this girl has major issues and wants only to try and seek revenge for me leaving. I know that I could find a ton of people to move in. My question is, since my lease agreement is with the landlord and not her, what are the rules for finding a suitable replacement for my apartment. My boyfriend says he will pay the remainder of the 3 months and live there if he has to. Who's decision is it to who moves in? The landlords? The psycho roomates? Please let me know my rights here. I know that she will not approve anyone to live here because what she wants is for me to move out, she will front the rent (find one of her friends to come in and pay her on the side) then sue me for damages (the rent) making a profit. I truly feel that this was her plan from the beginning. She is crazy but, I don't know how much my argument will stand up in court. Please let me know if I get to choose or the landlord does if the roomate is not cooperating.

-Does anyone know a free source of council to find out what my rights are here if I was to be taken to small claims. I got a new apartment and just got approved. I dished out everything I own just to get out and now I have no $.

Thanks soo much
Some answers will really take a load off my mind.
-Jaime

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name