Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

HELP!.... should I call a lawyer?

Posted by Pete on February 28, 2001 at 10:23:06:

I live in a Six family house in Queens (NYC). I have a lease that states "no pets". The lease is signed by both the husband and wife.

A week ago I called the Heat Complaint hotline to complain about the heat. A day later the landlord called me to arrange for her husband to come over and fix the problem. He came over and fixed it to an extent.

His wife called two days later and left a message for me to call her. I called and she asked if I had a dog in the house and if the dog was always there. I told her yes I have a dog and it's always here. She told me that the lease states "no pets ". I responded by telling her that I asked her husband ,in August 2000, if I can have a dog. He said "I don't see a problem with it".
It is now Feb 27, 2001.
She said she didn't know anything about us keeping a dog. Again I told her that her husband said he didn't see a problem with it. I also told here that the neighbors saw the dog on numerous occasions.
( I asked the next apartment over if the dog makes any noise and they said "no". ) She even saw the dog around Christmas time and said nothing. One time she followed Me, my wife and the dog into the building entrance and said nothing. When the husband came to fix the heat he didn't say anything except complain that I called the Heat Hotline. She also brought up that I called the Heat Complaint Hotline again. She wants to come over to my apartment to discuss the lease and she wants to show me the violation they (landlords) received because of my complaint. She also said that the violation could cost here a lot of money and that she might have to go to court.

I have had the dog (Jackie) here it the apartment since the husband said "I don't see a problem with it." referring to my question. Can I have a dog.
I remember the conversation because he asked if I wanted to buy the house from him. My wife is witness to me asking permission and his response.

I believe she is bringing up the dog because I called the Heat Complaint Hotline. Should I let he landlord in when they come over to show me the lease and the Heat complaint violation?

What should I do? Get a lawyer? I can't give up my dog, she part of the family. After all its been five months since he said okay and the neighbors all see me or my wife walking her.

Please advise me or send me link to someone who can help. Email me at pete@inotez.com

Thanks in advance.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name