Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can one still ask for a rent abatement?

Posted by Wendy on February 27, 2001 at 19:28:25:

In Reply to: Re: Can one still ask for a rent abatement? posted by Tom on February 26, 2001 at 14:58:05:

Sorry you don't comprehend the problem, first of all it is not just the roaches, 2nd of all the extent of the roach infestation in this building is that they walk with you up the steps when you come home from work. It takes more than 2 tubes a year. A LOT more. If Combat was enough I wouldn't be worried about it. Because of the leaky pipes the building is ALWAYS damp, as a building owner you would know that constant dampness invites all kinds of bugs (I forgot to mention the lovely silverfish we find in our bathtub)
So in my case the landlord is contributing to the roaches, the silverfish and the mold by NOT fixing the pipes.

: Yes, I am a landlord, and have been for 9 years. For many many years before that I was a tenant.
: A fortune for Combat Gel. You need two tubes per year. You put out half a tube every 3 months. So you're talking $1.50 per month. But the point is that the landlord can never control the roaches, noly the tenants can. Also, if you put out Combat Gel, or any of the other gel products, DO NOT BOMB. And don't let the landlord bomb either. The smell of the bomb is a repellant, and prevents the critters from eating the gel. The gel works, the bombs don't.

: : You must be a landlord. Why should I pay a fortune for combat gel when living in a large building means that no matter what if the landlord doesn't address the issue the roach problem will not be cured, I caught your housekeeping remark, believe me we never leave a dish with a drip of water in the sink, we keep almost ALL our food in the fridge, we have incidentally "bombed" numerous times which of course only gets the little critters to move until the smell goes away and probably harms us more than the bugs.

: : Yes why don't I just more Lots and lots of laughs or haven't you noticed how much rents are in NYC? My rent is still less than $1000 with heat included it's a large 2 bedroom in a convenient locale, so while the conditions are aggravating I have found NOTHING else I can afford. What you need to realize is that tenants do not OWN anything, any money we put into an apartment is not equity, and is really a waste of money.

: : Thank goodness the other poster had some real advice

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name