Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

security deposit & verbal aggreement but no lease II

Posted by Jeff on February 27, 2001 at 18:01:39:

Hi all. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the following situation:

Hey if anyone can provide me with some information about this situation I would truly appreciate it:

Last Saturday I found a great apt. through a realtor in Queens. After the credit check cleared the realtor called me
and told me that the apt. was mine and all I had to do was put down a security deposit. That night I went to his
office and put down the security deposit - $900. He gave me the receipt and assured me the apt. was mine. I
called my present LL and gave him my 30 days notice and began boxing up my stuff to move. Today my realtor
called me and told me that the son of the older woman who owns the building, and thereby rents the apts.,
decided that b/c I do a lot of freelance work I might have trouble covering the rent in the future. He has decided
to begin showing the apt. again and is prepared to disregard the standing arrangment I had with my realtor. Can
this joker get away with this? Am I totally screwed here b/c I did not sign a lease, even though I put down the
security deposit and had a verbal agreement with the realtor? If someone could let me know what my rights are in
this situation it would be appreciated.

Thank you.
-Jeff

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name