Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord not making repairs--upstate NY

Posted by Kay on February 27, 2001 at 16:13:01:

In Reply to: Landlord not making repairs--upstate NY posted by Melissa on February 27, 2001 at 08:45:21:

Sure, you can do this, but just be aware that if your landlord takes you to court, that will be used against you in the future. It's a very unjust system by which the tenant is basically blacklisted from renting future apartments if he/she has been to court AT ALL, FOR ANY REASON against their landlord, even if you win the case. So if you try to stand up for your rights, it is later held against you. I know, I went through it. It was very hard to me to find another rental for a long time (I had to live in high priced sublets I couldn't afford for quite a while).

What you might try doing instead is paying for the repairs yourself, and then deducting the amounts of the bills from the rent, while including a letter of explanation and copies of the bills. And of course, still have the apartment inspected. It's also a good idea to keep records of everything that goes wrong, with dates, etc. , because you might need these for legal proof. Good luck.

Kay

: Help!

: I have a deadbeat landlord who is not making repairs. For example, I have a door that does not lock! I have made two written requests for repair and have not received a response. I have given this bum 60 days to respond and have continued to pay my rent. I have contacted the local building commissioner for inspection.

: What next? Set up an escrow acct for rent until repairs are made or repair and deduct?

: Any advice appreciated,

: MMH

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name