Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: help

Posted by Kay on February 27, 2001 at 15:59:10:

In Reply to: help posted by tracy on February 26, 2001 at 22:54:56:

I don't understand. If you gave notice and have the apartment until the end of the month, how in hell can this other tenant be allowed to move his things in? The apartment is still legally yours, and the new tenant has no right to put his things in your apartment. You have got to stand up for yourself, because you are really being pushed around here. Your landlord has no right to treat you that way, either legally, or otherwise. The new tenant should not have the key, and you should make him get his things out until your last day. Furthermore, as long as you leave the apartment in the condition in which you found it, there's no rule that says you have to clean it beyond that, although a minimal cleaning is courteous. The landlord owes you your entire security deposit as long as there's no damage to the apartment. If you feel unable to deal with this by yourself, I would get some kind of legal help if I were you, or some kind of support. Besides the legal violations here, your landlord and the new tenant are being very rude and disrespectful toward you. Don't take it! Good luck.

Kay

: i recently gave notice on my apartment and have been gradually moving out. my landlord last week gave the new tenant keys and let him start moving in. so right now my apartment is stuffed with his and my things i feel my right to privacy has been invaded plus the fact i own an expensive computer and stereo equipment. this man comes and goes as he pleases stuffing my apartment to the brim making it difficult for me to get my things out. now to top everythin off my landlord told me i need to clean the entire apartment or i will not get my security deposit back. how am i to do this with boxes everywhere?please tell me i have some rights here. i live in new york state in a 12 unit building

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name