Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Eviction due to a pet. Please help!!!

Posted by New York Tenant on February 27, 2001 at 08:20:22:

In Reply to: Eviction due to a pet . Please help !!! posted by susan kay on February 27, 2001 at 00:06:26:

If you can get a doctor or psychologist to write a letter to the landlord and his attorney, stating that you need the dog for emotional reasons, that might end it.

If not, you'll have to decide if you want to go to court, with testimony from a doctor or psychologist, to try to establish your emotional need for a dog.

If you are in New York City and lose in court, you will be given a 10-day chance to cure the default [RPAPL §753(4)]. But you might still be liable for the landlord's attorneys' fees, if there's such a clause in your lease.

If you win in court, the landlord might have to pay your attorneys's fees and the expense of the expert testimony of your doctor or psychologist.
:
: Could you please help me with this question. I have a rent stabilized lease for 2 years and have lived in same bldg for 10 years
: in NYC. I signed a special NO PET CLAUSE rider and that I warranted and represented that I would not get a pet of ANY kind.

: Due to emotional reasons,I got a dog. The landlord told me that I will be evicted. The super saw the dog last week when I brought him home. It is a toy poodle 3 months old and very quiet. The landlord's lawyer's certified letter said that if I do not get rid of the dog in 2 weeks that the lawyer will move to evict me and bill me for the months they cannot find a tenant.

: Can they evict a person AND charge them for rent ?? I will move with my dog but I can't pay 2 rents. Please help !! Thanks...

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name