Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can one still ask for a rent abatement?

Posted by Renee on February 27, 2001 at 04:55:42:

In Reply to: Can one still ask for a rent abatement? posted by Wendy on February 26, 2001 at 08:04:15:

Wow!

Youc can ask for a rent abatement, but what did it get you asking for maintenance and repairs? Nothing? That sounds like thats the same thing you will get from this LL to that request too. He obviously does not care. Get the authorities involved and they will make him care.

I can't believe you have accepted this for so long. Tom is right about the Combat. Use that to protect your own space until the whole building gets taken care of, but have to tell you - just one dirty person in a building can ruin it for everyone else. Your place can be as clean as a pin, but once those varmints are in a building it takes everyone working together to get rid of them. The leaking ceiling is a health hazard and the radiators are dangerous. You have put up with this much longer than I would have. Document document document and then Report.

Unfortunately, a leopard does not change his spots - so even after all things are taken care of - you will need to keep after him to repair things as they occur. Things always break down (its a rule of life), but that doesn't mean they have to stay broken forever. I still think you will never get satisfaction from this guy. This will buy you some time, but keep your eyes and ears open for a new apartment that you can afford in the area you want. You will have problems with him for as long as you remain there.

I'm a landlord, too, but this guy gives all of us a bad name. He operates like this because he has been allowed to for too long by the complacency of his tenants. He owes you a habitable place with working appliances. Its not like you're asking him for a jacuzzi spa, you want your fridge repaired or replaced. This is a necessity of life. You go, girl!!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name