Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: pet and insane rent increase!...you need to investigate

Posted by rich on February 26, 2001 at 20:57:28:

In Reply to: pet and insane rent increase! posted by Sandy on February 26, 2001 at 16:24:56:

First off the rent increase CANNOT start until April 1st anyway.....

Second how old is your building? if it was built before 1974 it could be rent stabilized HOW?

Here is where you need to take a day off from work to investigate...

You have to goto DHCR and get a rent printout of your apartment, and building.

Then You have to goto the Buildings dept and get the certificate of Occupancy, and then find whatever building blueprints that are on file for that building.....and look to see how many original apartments there were, and what the older C of O have listed.

MANY MANY landlords have made a 6 unit rent stabilized building in to a 5 unit ILLEGAL building, by combining 2 apartments, by making a 1st floor unit commercial, by not counting or registering a legal basement unit.....or having the owner live there, and he says it is not stabilized becuase there are only 5 rental units.

You have to prove there was 6 units in 1974 and then you would probably still be stabilized... and of course entitled to a lease and LOTS of $$$$$$ for overcharges...

NOW is that worth taking ONE PERSONAL OR VACATION DAY off from work?

: I got a letter from my brooklyn landlord last week saying that 1) my pets have to go and 2) he is increasing my rent at the rate of 55% starting next month.
: I do not have a lease since the old one expired two years ago. from other posting in the message board i understand that it is legal for him to do the insane 55% increase because the building isn't rent stabilized (it has 5 units). But the pet issues are nowhere to be found in my old lease. My landlord claimed that we had a verbal agreement of not having any pets while living in the apartment, but I do not recall this and have had pets for almost two years. does a verbal agreement have any legal effect? can he evict me through a verbal agreement?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name