Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: pet and insane rent increase!

Posted by Will on February 26, 2001 at 16:53:08:

In Reply to: pet and insane rent increase! posted by Sandy on February 26, 2001 at 16:24:56:

First of all you should check with DHCR and truly make sure you're not stabilized. If you are there are a whole slew of protections you get plus possible overcharge issues.

However assuming you are a month to month the landlord needs no reason to give you 30 day notice. So although your pet may legit because the pet laws in NYC for folks with leases (landlord who does not serve notice within 90 days of knowledge of the pet voids a no pet clause), he will and can terminate your lease for whatever reason. If you're willing to pay the 55% increase and are willing to take a risk..notify the landlord you accept the rent increase on two conditions 1. that he give you a 1 or more year lease. 2. He permit you to keep your dog.... if he refuses you'll probably need to find another place...

Will

: I got a letter from my brooklyn landlord last week saying that 1) my pets have to go and 2) he is increasing my rent at the rate of 55% starting next month.
: I do not have a lease since the old one expired two years ago. from other posting in the message board i understand that it is legal for him to do the insane 55% increase because the building isn't rent stabilized (it has 5 units). But the pet issues are nowhere to be found in my old lease. My landlord claimed that we had a verbal agreement of not having any pets while living in the apartment, but I do not recall this and have had pets for almost two years. does a verbal agreement have any legal effect? can he evict me through a verbal agreement?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name