Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can one still ask for a rent abatement?

Posted by Wendy on February 26, 2001 at 13:15:35:

In Reply to: Re: Can one still ask for a rent abatement? posted by Dawn on February 26, 2001 at 12:54:14:

Thanks Dawn-
Yes I have kept letters, I couldn't think exactly how to go about getting started on this, thanks so much for reminding me about calling an inspector. I took pictures already, a series actually that shows the poor quality of the few repairs made to the ceiling and the other conditions. Thanks for helping (and comprehending the issue)

: If you've paid your rent on a timely basis and he's still been nonchalant about keeping up with his responsibilities, then contact DHCR IMMEDIATELY. File a complaint, you have serious issues there, painting being the least of your worries. You have children and there are pests in your apartment that can cause illness to your children. The DHCR will send an inspector (make sure you ask they do). The inspector will make a surprise visit to your building to see what's up. Tell NO ONE so the inspector can find everything the way you say it is for his/herself. Meanwhile, take pictures of everything. Make sure you have them dated. Have you kept copies of your letters of complaint to the LL? You're going to need them in case you need to go to court to settle this if the LL doesn't want to.

: You have rights. You are rent stabilized. You are not an animal. The LL has to follow the law or get penalized for it. Don't live in fear.

: The other's post to move would be nice if you had the money to move and if there was an overabundance of in good shape, reasonably priced/rent stabilized apartments. Which I sincerely doubt.

: Don't give up.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name