Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

30 days/no lease

Posted by Bianca on February 24, 2001 at 14:39:44:

I am a renter from down south(Ruidoso, New Mexico). I have always enjoyed the advice given on this website. However, I now have a problem and it seems I cannot find anyone here that cares. I was renting a garage studio apartment from the owner of the home. We signed no lease. After a couple months, she turned into the LL from hell. They slam as many doors as possible in the mornings, she complains of how often we have our gas turned on which is only when we are home(she pays utilites), and two days before our rent was due, she raised it by 18%. I did not complain seeing as how I realize there was no lease signed. BUT, after paying that rent, I looked for a new place, and two weeks before our next monthly rent was due I let her know we were moving out asap. She now says she can't give our deposit back despite the condition of the apartment because we didn't give 30 days notice. I payed her increase with no complaint of the amount of time given me because of there being no lease. I need to find out if she can hold me to some ghost policy (we weren't even aware of) without a lease. Is there anyone that can help? I don't know the rights of a renter here in New Mexico.
Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name