Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: I need immediate advice

Posted by Renee on February 24, 2001 at 06:41:03:

In Reply to: Re: I need immediate advice posted by Tom on February 22, 2001 at 23:39:56:

I wouldn't stoop to her level!!

I think you've done th right thing, Kris. This is obviously a person with a mental problem. Perhaps her financial worries have thrown her over the edge. That is not unusual. The part that worries me is that she seems to take out her psychosis on you.

You have done well writing the letter confirming your conversation. As another post said - document everything from here on in. Your landlord who seems to be a reasonable guy will probably give you a good reference knowing that it was not your fault that you had to leave for your own safety and sanity.

At worst, you will only be responsible for rent through the end of June. I think it would be worth it to protect yourself even if it came to that. You don't know at what point she will try to escalate the terror. It is not as though you are dealing with a sane person here. Keep your door locked at night. Protect your possessions. In your absence she may try to take it out on your things.

Remain cool, calm and conciliatory until you and yours are safely out the door. Do not do anything that will escalate the emotional reaction in this person. There have been people that have killed their own families under this type of strain. Your safety is #1 and provoking her would be conterproductive at this point.

Make sure your name has been removed from all accounts that were held jointly (cable,phone, utilities, etc).

If you are held liable for any rent, you may want to take her to small claims court and sue her for your losses because she has forced you out with her actions which were a danger to you. Make sure you have documentation for this.

Hope your new place is less eventful.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name