Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Breaking a lease

Posted by Kay on February 23, 2001 at 12:41:44:

In Reply to: Breaking a lease posted by Laurie K on February 22, 2001 at 13:59:40:

I'm seriously considering breaking my lease also, and it's interesting to know that they can raise the rent that much if I do so. They should therefore have no objection (although my lease is only a month old, and will be about 3, if I end it).
As far as your landlord being able to rent your studio for $2150.00 is concerned, I think in New York he should not have much problem. As long as your place has something going for it (location, etc.), there will always be someone willing to pay any price to rent it.

Kay

: I'm relocating and have to break my lease. Currently, the rent for our Manhattan studio is 1895.00. For the next tenant, the management company has raised it to $2150.00. This is nearly a 15% increase and there is little interest in the apartment because it's not worth $2150.00- not in this economy.

: I realize I am responsible for the rent until the place is rented out, but up to what point? If the new rent is so outrageous that no one will take it- do I have to keep paying? Why can't they ask $4,000 for it, since they have no incentive to be sane as I have to pay 1895.00 until the lease is up?

: Thanks
: Laurie

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name