Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Locked Out By NYC Housing

Posted by Marsha Scott on February 22, 2001 at 17:45:45:

Two months ago, I sublet an apt in a Brooklyn NYC Housing Authority Building. The tenant paid $150 a month. Because I was in a bind (I have a husband and three children) and living with my motherI agreed to pay the tenant $500 a month. I paid $1500 up front to the tenant and her daughter and moved in. Not knowing, I believed them when they told me they would put my name on the lease. They gave me receipts and notarized letters stating I had been in the apt. since December 2000 and how much money I paid. When NYC Housing found out I had sublet the apartment they told me I had to move. The tenant I rented the apartment from has moved to Virginia. NYC Housing told me the tenant has faxed them an authorization to close the apartment. Today NYC Housing told me on Monday 2/26/01 they were coming with the police to lock up the apartment and change the locks. Not only am I out of $1500 dollars, I don't have a place to live. The tenant's daughter is a resident of NYC Housing also. Is what the tenant and her daughter did illegal? Can I take action against either of them? Shouldn't maybe the daughter loose her lease for her deception? Can anyone tell me what I shoud do now? Do I have any legal recourse?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name