Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: My apt is HELL! Please help!

Posted by dweller on February 20, 2001 at 19:59:28:

In Reply to: My apt is HELL! Please help! posted by Bruce on February 20, 2001 at 18:05:52:

: Hi, Thank you in advance for anyone who can give me some advice.
: I rented the first floor in a 2 fam home, located in Nassau County NY.
: I've been here for 3 months, and everyday has been a nightmare since I moved in.

: In a nutshell. The people above me never stop making noise.
: The neighborhood has turned out to be very "ghetto"...and the RE agent/ landlord involved me in a legal issue with the previous tenants ( she actually ripped up their mail and left it on my steps.AS IF I DID IT!)

: I had taken the place because the landlord seemed very nice and I also work from home. It was the perfect set up for me, and he assured me I would not be disturbed.

: Turns out, I cannot work, sleep, or live here. These are also new tenants. The last tenants, (who were evicted)had a small child and dog that would sit at my door and also make noise. They were actually better than the new tenants. The problem here isnt exactly the people.. it's the house itself. The walls and floors might as well be made from cardboard.

: The landlord has tried making adjustments to the house, but it's just not possible for me to live, work, or sleep here. I spend most of time at Kinkos. The only room in the house that's OK is the bathroom, which I often have to take calls from! It sucks.

: The first month I was here, I replaced the entire floor with my own money. I had planned to live here 2 years and the landlord knocked $100 p/m off the rent.

: My question. I really don't feel I should pay rent for a space which I cannot live or work in. I want to get out of here as soon as possible and I am looking for my own house to rent. I don't want to leave here losing money... for the floor.. the money i spent on the agent.. and the moeny I have been paying in rent for a space I havent been able to use. What are my options? I want my money back ( 3 months rent ) and will leave right away. This probably wont happen..so should I claim my space an "independant nation" and stand it out rent free until I find a new house?

: Also, just today..while I was out. The landlord let himself into my apt with an electrician to install a new stove for the people up stairs. No call.. didnt ask.. just came in and turned off the gas while he installed the oven. I thoght he could only do this in emergency..like a gas leak.

Boy can I ever sympathize. Having lived in a couple of two family houses, they suck. The LL's don't care about you, don't give adequate heat and can freely do what they want. My old LL used to come into our apartment when we were at work and used excuses like there was a leak and so on. B.S.

You are in quite a bind. I don't believe you can retrieve your 3 months rent. You cannot stay living there and then ask for a refund. I think that by staying there, you are accepting the conditions. You chose to replace the floor and were very lucky that the LL took anything off the rent. He didn't have to. You cannot remain there for free, either you stay and pay or leave.

You have no rights in a private home. The LL can do as they please. You need to give 30 days notice and get the hell out of there.

Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name