Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: overcharge, don't think so.

Posted by georgygirl on February 14, 2001 at 15:51:43:

In Reply to: overcharge posted by chelsea on February 06, 2001 at 16:33:08:

no, not in the last four years I haven't. The increases have followed the Rent Stabilization Guidelines.

By the way, I FINALLY got the rent renewal (after writing LL yet again about it) and he initialled the owner's signature spot. I asked him about it via letter since the initials don't even look like his initials AT ALL and his previous writings to me, though few, have had his full name written down. I found this confusing because it doesn't really state on this renewal WHO it is. We talked briefly on the phone and he said that he DOES sign that way, with his initials, and that he's done that with legal documents as well. He reminded me of a thank you note he sent me and "if I had looked at it" I would've noticed this. So I pulled out the card when I got home and sure enough -- he had written his FULL name and not the initialled signature he's claiming he has always done! I faxed it to him, reminding him of our conversation. He left a voicemessage stating that again, the signature he left on the renewal was his signature. Is this just doubletalk or something?

I also noticed on the renewal that he's listed himself as AGENT and not OWNER. He, on the other hand, has presented himself to me and the other tenants of my building through correspondence that HE is the owner. Is there a difference? Is initialling the same as a signature? Will this come back to haunt me later in any way? Also, on line 3 regarding security deposits, it asks to check anything of the following if it applies: Current deposit $left blank, Additional Deposit Required- 1 year lease $left blank--2 year lease $left blank. LL wrote the number zero on the 1 year line. Shouldn't this be on the 2 year line?

Once I sign the two copies of the renewal, can I keep one for my files or do I have to send both back and wait for him to send me back one? Is there a process to why the LL has to give me two copies and then give me one back? I'd rather keep one now, since, he claims, his signature is on it already. I figure all I have to do is sign off on both, keep one, and send back one to LL. It'll be fully executed, won't it?

The LL is really getting on my nerves and every two years, whether it's through this current LL or the past ones, it's always been an anxious tenseful time. It's as if it absolutely pains the LL's to renew at all, despite the fact they get their rent paid on a timely basis and in full and are basically left alone except for major repairs which they drag their feet on anyways.

Sorry for the venting on LL's. I'm sure there are a good bunch out there somewhere.

: Have you been overcharged in the last four years?

:
: : Update from last month: The LL is still dragging his feet on sending me my renewal. I asked for help on this board and determined from that and calling DHCR I know I cannot be just pushed out for no reason out of getting the renwal for my rent stabilized apt. But I'm getting anxious waiting for this renewal to show up in my mailbox. The other issue IS my mailbox -- it's been busted forever. Tried fixing it once by replacing the lock only to have it busted open -- my order of personal checks that I was waiting on (hence putting in the new lock in the first place) was opened and copies of loose checks littered the inside of my mailbox. Each new landlord has never taken care of this mailbox issue I'm not the only one with a busted one). The postmaster recently left a note a month ago claiming the post office will not be responsible for lost mail.

: : So now I'm wondering if the LL will pull a fast one and say that he "sent" the renewal but just never got it back from me in time. My current lease expires April 1. What can I do to stop this harrassment of not giving me what is due me?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name