Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord lied about information prior to our lease signing.

Posted by Susan on February 12, 2001 at 23:59:23:

My family and I were living in a rented condo for 8 years. Rent was low-we were happy-loved our landlords. We ran across a house for rent which had everything we'd wanted. My husband and I met with the landlord that evenning and we asked her 3 very specific questions;
1. Did she have any intentions of selling?
2. We wanted a "long term" tenancy \- what was she looking for?
3. What was her policy for rent increases?
She stated that she would not put her house up for sale for at least 3 years but that we would be offered the first option to buy. She also said that she would not raise the rent as long as we were not problematic. Additionally that she was also looking for a long term tenant.
After great expense we moved into the house - now 1 year to the month she says the house is for sale and that it is already "spoken" for PLUS she's raising our rent. AND, we are now told by the neighbors that this was her plan all along and that she wants the house for her son who will graduate from college in a few months. We are absolutely furious. I have 2 children one of which is only 4 months old, my 9 year old had to relocate to this new school here with no friends. I run my business out of the house and spent a fortune on new phone lines, stationery, etc.
DO I HAVE ANY RECOURSE???? We never would have moved had we known her answers were lies. I also have 2 other witnesses to the conversation.
We feel that she fraudulently procured this lease with us.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name