Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Brooklyn landlord wants to raise my rent 50%

Posted by Alan Stephenson on February 12, 2001 at 14:59:58:

I have lived in this Park Slope brownstone duplex for four years. I do not have a lease, never have. After living here a year, the landlord raised my rent $500/month. Now, she wants to raise it $800/month, an almost 50 percent increase in the current rent. She claims my current rent is under market value, which may be true, however, the place needs work-cosmetic, electrical and structural. Any repairs in the past I've done myself of had done and deducted the price of parts, etc. from my rent per her suggestion. She's truly an absentee landlord, with no super, etc. Can she raise the rent by this much all at once or are there any legal restrictions? What happens if I refuse to pay that much of an increase and send her the same rent or the same rent with say, an $250 increase? Can she have me evicted? How long does that process take? My goal is to remain here, but not to pay that huge of an increase all at once. ANY HELP?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name