Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Roommate and Verbal Agreement

Posted by DT on February 12, 2001 at 14:43:33:

Five months ago I got a roommate and have just given her a 30 day notice to move out. The lease is in my name only and our agreement is verbal. I was planning on moving out of state in several months and had told her she could take over the lease when I moved. Things have since changed (my job and her not keeping her end of the deal with things like smoking in the apartment, her boyfriend basically living with us and not cleaning her share).

I talked to her about why I wanted her to move out stating these reasons and that even if I was still moving I could not live like this for even 2 more months. She is now saying she'll move out when she feels like it and that she will not pay rent/utilities in the interim (that I backed out on my end of the agreement and she shouldn't have to pay). It is now mid-February and she has not paid February rent or even January utilities. I have a string of emails documenting this--offensive, lunatic emails.

Does she have any rights? Do I have a right to change the locks since she will not pay rent? When can I do so?

Please help!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name