Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Please Help!!!

Posted by Charles on February 11, 2001 at 16:31:58:

In Reply to: Please Help!!! posted by Regina on February 11, 2001 at 02:36:19:

Hello Regina/Denise

You agreed to a one year term ... they (landlord) agreed to a one year term ... no one said anything to the contrary after 3 days, so what you have is a one year lease with a clerical error.

Of course this gives you enormous negotiating power if you're trying to get out of the lease. I wonder if the management's copy of the lease has the error as well. You might give management notice that you need to leave in 30 days or so, see what they say, then if you need to, show the lease.

If push came to shove it would be up to a judge to decide. But I really doubt it will come to that. You should just get out of the lease.

: My husband and I were looking over our lease last week and it seems as though the manager made a mistake when filling it out. In the area were the
: time the lease is to last, the manager wrote "September 29, 2000 to October 1, 2000" which appears as though we signed a three day lease. We had
: originally agreed to a one year term, but due to a job change, it seems as though we will have to move out of state. When we talked to our manager,
: she told us that we would be held responsible for the rent until the unit was rented whether we lived here or not.

: Here is my question: does her mistake void the lease in any way? and if so how? What can we do about it?

: We living in a complex in North Hollywood, California and we are not rent stabilized or rent controlled. As I mentioned earlier we have a written lease.
: There are at least 100 units in the complex. I am not too sure when it was built.

: Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name