Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord refused to renew my lease

Posted by Sue on February 09, 2001 at 14:52:17:

In Reply to: Landlord refused to renew my lease posted by Dave on February 09, 2001 at 14:11:27:

: I've been renting an apt in a co-op building on a yearly basis since 1996 in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. The apt is rent stabilzed - each year the rent went up only slightly ($700, then $715, then $725, then $730. Now its $750 month.) I just received a letter in the mail telling me that they are not going to renew my lease and I must vacate the apt by 7/1/01. I also says that I can call if I am interested in purchasing my apt. So it looks like I have to move. But now a co-worker is telling me that what they are doing is illegal. I don't know if it is or not. I don't see how they can be forced to renew my lease, its not like they are cutting it short. I suspect I'll have to find another place to live but I was just wondering if I can force them to renew my lease. Thank you for your help.

: I live on 460 Ovington Avenue in Brooklyn. Its an old building. 5-floors, about 8 or 9 units per floor. Its a co-op. Over the last few years they have been trying to fix up the building, so I should not be surprised that they are now trying to get rid of the renters....

If the apt is stabilized - they must-by law-offer a renewal lease. CHeck this site for regs on stabilization

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name