TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Worst landlords in Madison

Posted by Gemoules on February 09, 2001 at 12:50:15:

September 5, 1995

Student Tenant Union
420 N. Lake Street, Room 307
Madison, WI 53703

Dear People:

Last week I spoke with Neal regarding the fraud perpetrated by Forward Management in illegally withholding a large portion of the security deposit on one of their apartments which was rented by my daughter and two friends. They falsified charges for damages and loss (charging them for problems which were there and on the check-in list when they moved in). They then charged $40.00 per hour for 10 hours of cleaning claiming the apartment was filthy with trash strewn around., when my mother and I had spent an entire day there (combined total of 16 hours of labor), thoroughly cleaning-my daughter cleaned an additional 3 hours before she moved out. Fortunately, I took extensive pictures of the apartment, particularly the kitchen which was shining and which they claimed was so filthy someone had to work there for 6 hours cleaning.

The letter is both to lodge a complaint against Forward Management for your records, to express my deep appreciation for all the help Neal gave me personally and to tell you how grateful I am that an organization such as yours exists. I only wish my daughter and her friends read the Renter's Guide and acted accordingly both at the time they moved in and at the time they vacated the premises.

I would suggest that the next time the Renter's Guide is published, renters should be advised to take extensive pictures both just before they move in showing any damage or problems which exist and when they move out after they have cleaned. In particular, they should concentrate on the kitchen taking pictures of the stove, refrigerator, floor, cupboards, etc. Pictures don't lie-and in the case of my daughter and her roommates, they will win the case in court.

I am enclosing a small donation and a promise that in the next few weeks, I will make a batch of deluxe chocolate chunk/walnut cookies and ship them to your office.

Again I thank you for the incredible help you have provided.

Best wishes,

Signed
Pamela J. deRoy

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name