Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Please help

Posted by Jeremy on February 08, 2001 at 15:51:12:

She never provided a manual for how to operate the garbage diposal...This is my first time renting and i had no clue becuase at my home we never had a garbae disposal... so i have no clue what to throw in or not to throw in so is that still my fault......thanks for the help......

: Jeremy,

: Small world... I am a landlord in Lafayette, IN myself (although not yours). Yep it is legal, but according to the wording of your lease you or someone you let into your apartment had to have done the damage. What caused the garbage disposal to break? My guess is that the repair man found something inappropriate thrown down the disposal (like a bone, plum pit, spoon, etc.). If the disposal broke due to that or because it was run without the water running, that would fall under the clause in your lease and it would be your responsibility. If the disposal just broke due to age, then it should be paid for by your landlord. I would simply call them and ask them about the cause of the broken disposal. That should clear things up.

: Good luck!

: -Kris Ames

: : Hello I currently live in Lafayette, Indiana. I am renting an apartment in lafayette and I had a ? that came up. I have been living here for about 6 months now and our garbage disposal went out. SO i call the landlord up and stated that the garbage disposal went out. SO she sent maintance up to fix it and they did. A week later I recieved a bill from my land lord stating that i owed 57.90 for there work it broke down into this 47.90 for the new garbage disposal and 10.00 for the labor. Then she under lined in the lease that "Coming straight from the lease" Residents must pay repair cost for all damages to residents apartment Apartment Community Facilities, and common areas caused by Residents or memebers of Residents household or guest. This shall include, but not limited to damaged to appliancies, windows, screens, doors, overflowing toliets, sinks, bathtubs, basing, or walls.

: : I just wanted to know if this is leagal and is there any law that protects me from things like this......Or am i just out the 57.90

: : Thank you for any information

: : Sincerly
: : Jeremy Haines

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name