Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

central heat bills in a rent stab apt NYC

Posted by Paul on February 08, 2001 at 00:18:20:

I have been living in a rent stab apt for 20 years in Queens NY.
The heat and a/c are central heat and a/c. In order for me to have ANY HEAT AT ALL I have to turn on an electric fan which blows the heat out of my wall unit. If I do not turn on the electric fan, my apt is extremely cold. I have to pay for the electric. I thought that a landlord was supposed to provide heat and hot water, in a rent stab apt, at NO cost to the tenant. My electric bills are very high as a result of this. I spoke to the landlord about this and all they said was that it was approved by the city.

This is also a 421A building and I pay an extra $90 a month just for that and it is supposed to go on forever, according to the landlord.

Would anyone know if the landlord is supposed to compensate me, in some monetary way, for the expense of running the electric fan during the heat season ??
I can understand that the central a/c is an advantage over a window unit electric cost but a/c is not a requirement for a rent stab landlord to provide, at no cost, but heat is. I would appreciate any help that this Tenant Net board could provide me with. Thank you very kindly.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name