Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Is my lease still valid??

Posted by Jaime on February 06, 2001 at 23:12:29:

Hi there! I have a few questions. I am in a sticky situation with my roommate. I want out in the worst way. Our lease is up June 30th. Both of our names are on it. It is a standard lease. I want to know if there is anyway that I can get out of it.

Here are my 2 questions:
1. When we signed the lease last July, all the additions to it were signed by my roomate and I. After we signed the lease, the landlord scratched out (gas+electric) as utilities that were to be included in the rent. Our broker made a mistake of telling us that the utilities were included. We solved the problem by making the broker pay for our (gas and electric) since it was her mistake letting us think it was included. That is working out fine, the broker pays us monthly.
The thing is, we never signed a new lease. So basically, our lease was changed after we signed it and we never initialed it. Is it still a valid lease?

2. Our landlord sold the house (private house)without our knowledge. We recieved a paper telling us (with no notice) the names of the new owners. If it is a new owner and our lease is signed by the previous owner, is it still valid?

I'm really trying to find a way out of this situation. I know that co-signing a lease with someone is an unspoken agreement to live in them for the time of the lease but, basically it is not working out and I have told her that I want out. She says that I can't leave b/c of the lease and is holding it over my head. We never wrote up any agreements between the two of us stating what happens if one of us wants to leave. I know it is only 4 months but my roommate is making my life miserable because she knows that I have no way out.

I would love to find a way to give the landlord and roommate my 30 day notice and be able to move out without any leagal consequences. I know that if I told the landlord I wanted to break the lease, he would have no problem with it, he is cool. The problem is that my roomate will not leave unless she is forced.

Is there any way out of it for me?

Please let me know if you have any advice on what to do.
Thanks,
JL

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name