Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can I get security dep. back?

Posted by maven on January 31, 2001 at 07:48:13:

In Reply to: Can I get security dep. back? posted by Ty on January 31, 2001 at 01:10:36:

In New York City, a thirty-days' notice terminating a month-to-month tenancy has to be in writing and be served in the same manner as a notice of petition and petition in housing court.

In the rest of New York state, it is a one-month notice, and can be verbal or written. You could have sent the notice with your rent payment, so that the landlord received the notice at least one month before the termination date. And you could have written on the front and back of your check something like SEE ENCLOSED NOTICE OF TERMINATION EFFECTIVE JANUARY 31, 2001. And you could have made a copy of the notice and of both sides of the check.

:
: Thanks in advance for any help...here's my situation:
: Sent 30-day notice(with last rent check) Jan 02,2001 that I would be gone by the 31st. Called today to verify everthing and they said they never got the notice (they cashed the check though). I have copy of 30-day notice on hard drive verifying the date it was written(created on 01-02-2001).
: My specific question is: Since the 30-day was sent on the 2nd(not quite 30-days), do I have grounds to take them to small claims?
: Again, thanks in advance!
: Ty

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name