Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

broken down apt.

Posted by dnor on January 28, 2001 at 21:55:19:

I live in a private three family home in park slope, bklyn which currently has four apts. in it (illegally). My livingroom fall had oak planks which were supported by beams which were rotting and hazardous due to carpenter ants which resulted in the planks cracking and everytime I walked upon it, the floor was sinking down with each step. Finally after two years and the me almost falling through the fall my landlord had the floor replaced. Then the same thing started happening in the kitchen (which was a poorly done extension to the house), the tiles were cracking in addition to the floor sinking. My landlord, after a year of complaining finally replaced the tiles with ceramic tiles (not the floor itself, just the tiles). Everything was fine, until I started getting steam coming up from the entrance way into the kitchen. The steam would come up everytime the heat came on and the livingroom and kitchen would feel like a suana. As a result of the steam and condensation, my kitchen tiles are down cracking and the tiles are indiviually coming apart from the grouting. In addition the wall between my livingroom and kitchen is so rotten that when touched it, you finger actually goes through the wall. I never reported my landlord to anyone because of the low rent I was paying for my apt. with a backyard (under $750.00)), and just tried to bear with him to do the repairs. Now my landlord wants to increase my rent to market rate (over $1100.00) as he states "because of the upgrades with the floors". I have been living in the bldg. for over 10 years and unfortunately, my landlord never renews anyone's lease after 1 year, so everyone is considered month to month. Do I have any recourse. I have already told him I will not pay an increase until the apt. is up to par and all problems are resolved. Any suggestions?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name